Major John McDowell
A correction to my published Buford book
The following obituary was taken from the
Kentucky Gazette, Lexington, Kentucky
Another Revolutionary Patriot gone.
"DIED on July 17, 1835 at his residence in this county Fayette), John McDowell, esq. at a very advanced age(79). Major McDowell was an Officer of the revolution, an early settler in Kentucky, was formerly a Justice of the Court of Quarter Sessions and died a member of the County Court. In all his relations, there was none more correct, or more universally esteemed."
The correction I would like to make is on page 262 of my 2005 Buford Families in America book.
John, the 3rd child born to Samuel and Mary McClung McDowell is listed as having
only one wife, namely, Lucy LeGrand.
On page 176 I have the same John McDowell married to his cousin Sarah McDowell.
My error occurred when I did not list his third wife - Jane "Jenny" Lyle.
John married his cousin Sarah in Virginia on September 6, 1781 and they had
1. Elizabeth b. 1785 - d. 1806 - m. William McPheters
2. James b.1787 - d.1812 - m. Susannah Hart Shelby
3. John b. 1789 - d. 1873 - m. 1.Hannah McAllister 2.Francis Stuart
4. William b. 1791 - d. 1859 - m. Sarah Thompson
5. Samuel b. 1793 - d. 1859 - m. Elizabeth Chrisman
6. Mary b. 1799 - d. abt 1821 - m. Thomas Hart Shelby
7. Sarah b. 1801 - d. 1839 - m. James H. Allen
After Sarah's death John Married Lucy Nash LeGrand on the 12th of April 1804
after he had moved to Lexington, Kentucky. He and Lucy had four children all born in Kentucky.
1. Joseph b. 1805 - d. 1868 - m. 1. Amanda Drake 2. Sarah Mack
2. Charles b ? - d ? - m. Catherine Reid
3. Elizabeth Ann b. 1808 - d. 1885 - m. 1. John Bell 2. Francis Stone
4. Lucy Nash b. 1810 - d. 1836 - m. David M. Woodson
After Lucy LeGrand died John married Jane "Jenny" Lyle in September of 1822 in
they did not have any children.
The obituary does not specify where John was buried but the custom then was to bury on the estate in a private burying ground for family members.
I sincerely apologize for omitting John's third and last wife and hope it hasn't caused anyone any trouble.
BUFORD Families in America Book 2005
Addendum to Buford Book 2005
Simeon R. Buford
John Quincy Adams Buford
And my ALL-TIME favorite ~ TRIVIA
~~~Clouds by Torie~~~